Skype is one of the most popular communication applications in the world that allows you to make free online audio and video calls, and affordable international calling to mobiles and landlines worldwide.
Skype is not an open source application and it is not included in the Ubuntu repositories. You should go to the official Website and download it.
In this tutorial we will show you how to install Skype on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. The same instructions can applied for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or any other Debian based distribution.
You’ll need to be logged in as a user with sudo privileges in order to install the Skype Deb package.
Step 1./ Download Skype
– Open your terminal either by clicking on the terminal icon or by using the
Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcut.
– Download the latest Skype
.deb package using the following
$ wget https://go.skype.com/skypeforlinux-64.deb
Step 2./ Install Skype
Once the download is complete, install Skype by running the following command as a user with
$ sudo apt install skypeforlinux-64.deb
You will be prompted to continue the installation, just type
Step 3./ Start Skype
– Now that you have Skype installed on your Ubuntu dekstop, you can start it either from the command line by typing
You have successfully installed Skype on your Ubuntu 18.04 LTS or Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server. You might want to check the following guides:
- How to install MariaDB 10 Server on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver
- How to Install Python 3.7 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver
- How To Install PostgreSQL 11 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver
- How To Install Apache Tomcat 9 Server on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver
- How to Install Zabbix Server 4 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver
We hope this tutorial was enough Helpful. If you need more information, or have any questions, just comment below and we will be glad to assist you!
PS. If you like this post please share it with your friends on the social networks using the buttons below.Thanks.